Transfer to a Minor

- The Transfer to a Minor form is used to document the transfer of property to a custodian for the benefit of a child.
- What ever the reason for the transfer, the parent or other owner of the property should make the transfer according to the Uniform Gift to Minors Act (the UTMA), a law now enacted in most all of the states.
- When properly transferred according to this law, the child has all of the benefits of ownership, subject to the management of the property by a "custodian."  The custodian is somewhat like a trustee or other fiduciary, with his or her duties determined by the UTMA.  
- Upon becoming an adult (21 in most states, 18 or 25 in a few), the child becomes the outright owner.

When You Need It
- When an adult wishes to transfer property to a custodian for the benefit of a child.

Getting Started

You will need:
- The state where the transfer will occur.
- Name of the person making the gift to the minor.
- Name and address of the custodian.
- Minor's legal name.
- Description of property to be transferred.

When to Review and Revise
- When needing to transfer other properties.
- When transferring properties to another minor.