Notice Letter to Child's School

- The Notice Letter to Child's School provides notice to a school or day care center that a child's parent or guardian has authorized someone else to temporarily care for the child.
- Schools and day care centers are very sensitive to the need to protect children and the potential for liability if a child is hurt by their negligence.  
- This letter should be used whenever you have authorized a friend, relative or professional child care agency to care for your child.  
- This letter does not include a grant of authority. It simply gives the school written notice that authority has been granted.
- If someone else will care for your child for a short period, it is best to give the caretaker written authorization to act in your absence. Home Attorney includes a Temporary Guardianship of Minor Child form to use for that purpose.  
- Leave a copy of the letter with the caretaker in case the school misplaces its copy.

When You Need It
- To provide written notice to a school or day care center of the caretaker's right to pick up the child at the end of the day and do other things, as specified, with respect to the child.

Getting Started

You will need:
- Name and address of the caretaker.
- Name and address of the parent(s) giving the notice.
- Names of all children involved.
- Name and address of school and principal.
- Length of time which authorization is valid.

When to Review and Revise
- Anytime there is a change in the child care/custody situation.
- To provide a new notice regarding care of a child/children.