Letter to Remove Your Name from Mailing Lists/More Info

Letter to Remove Your Name from Mailing Lists
Additional Information

You can contact the Directing Marketing Association (DMA) headquarters by writing to them at 1111 19th Street NW, Suite 1100Washington, DC 20036-3603 or by contacting its web site at http://www.the-dma.org/consumers/dmasponsorship.html to have your name deleted from many direct mail or telemarketing lists.  You can mail your request that you be removed from mail and telemarketing lists to the following addresses:

For direct mail marketing: Direct Marketing Association; Mail Preference Service; PO Box 9008; Farmingdale, NY 11735-9008.

For telemarketing: Direct Marketing Association; Telephone Preference Service; PO Box 9014; Farmingdale, NY 11735-9014.

You can also make your request online at the above DMA website to remove yourself from mail lists through DMA's Mail Preference Service (MPS), to remove yourself from telemarketing lists through DMA's Telephone Preference Service (TPS) and to remove yourself from email lists through DMA's E-mail Preference Service (EPS).

The Direct Marketing Association claims that you should see a reduction in the amount of direct mail you receive in about 90 days.  If you have other questions or want to make a complaint about an association member, call the Direct Marketing Association at (202) 861-2410.

Other Resources

If you are experiencing more serious problems, such as fraud or credit card problems, you should contact your state's consumer protection office.  There is a list of these offices, with phone numbers and other valuable contacts, in the Home Legal Guide - Consumer Matters topic 'State Consumer Protection Resources.'   

A number of other private organizations also can help with consumer problems.  See the Home Legal Guide - Consumer Matters topic 'Private Consumer Protection Resources' for a list of resources that may be able to help you.   Another good place to start is the following DMA web site http://www.the-dma.org/consumers/consumerfaqs.html.  You can also contact the Federal Trade Commission at http://www.ftc.gov about all kinds of other consumer trade and marketing complaints.